Landes is in the Nouvelle Aquitaine region, with the ocean and forests dominating the landscape. The Landes forest is one of the biggest in Europe. It mainly consists of maritime pine trees and covers over 65% of the department.
Landes, 4 regions to explore:
- Landes North Coast: Biscarrosse, Mimizan and the Regional Nature Park
- Landes South Coast: Messanges, Vieux Boucau, Moliets, Azur, Soustons, Seignosse, Hossegor, Capbreton
- Mont de Marsan and Armagnac
- Dax, Chalosse, Tursan, Adour
- Marquèze ecology museum: immerse yourself in the way of life of our 19th century ancestors.
Landes gastronomy is highly varied and enjoyable. You can try our duck foie gras, confit and breast fillet, asparagus, kiwis, peanuts and Landes pastis, all washed down with a glass of Vin des Sables or Tursan wine and Armagnac in a wide range of markets and restaurants.
If you want to eat some fresh fish, you can meet up with the fishermen in the morning at the port of Capbreton, the only fishing port on the region's south coast.
Landes is a centre of tradition with Courses Landaises, local folklore, street festivals and bullfighting.
The region :
Hossegor, Capbreton and its port 20 km away, Dax 30 km away, Bayonne, Biarritz and the Basque Country 40 km away, Spain 80 km away, Lourdes and the Pyrenees 140 km away, Bordeaux and its vineyards 150 km away.